Did you run out of day?
After talking with many homesteaders I found one of the things they struggle with the most is time. My son always says “I ran out of day!” I don’t think this is just a problem with homesteaders. I think we would find it with farmers, ranchers, parents and many other people on any given day. The word bored is not in my vocabulary. Somedays it would be nice to know what that felt like. Not really I am not a person that likes to just sit. Back to the problem at hand.
Lack of Time! I went to work thinking about this problem. What worthwhile suggestions could I make that would help someone have more time.
Now we know we can’t make more hours in the day. But would that really solve the problem of NOT having enough time. I know that it would not solve mine. I would just find more to do and then I would need more time.
Here are some of the suggestions that I came up with. It takes time to set up a few of them. But in the end I think it would help you manage your time.
10 suggestions to get things done.
- Make a list of the chores you need to accomplish. Number them in order of importance. Stick to your list! Don’t start another project until you get the first one done. Sometimes you need to move to something else before it is done, but try not to bounce from one thing to another.
- Become more organized in general. I find that it takes me a so much time to get things done if I am not organized. Sometimes I hate to even get started on a project because I have to look for something I need to have to complete the project. This is something I am working on. If I can get organized I can find what I need to get the job done in a more timely manner.
- Before you start a project gather the tools and supplies you will need to complete it. It takes time to make trips to town or back to the shop to get things. Each trip costs you time.
- I have accomplished most of this one. We have organized our corral to make chore time easier. I have worked at putting the feed closer to the feeders. The water troughs grouped (if possible) so I am not running all over dragging hoses and turning off water. I have tried to put my animals pens to each other so it is easier and faster for me to feed and water. It also made a difference during the winter. Having them closer to the feed made it easier through the deep snow so I didn’t have to haul things so far.
- This one is a funny one but makes total sense to me. Eat the frog first. When I have a job that needs to be done, and it isn’t my favorite to do, I try to do it first. (This is the frog) This way the thing that I hate to do is done and over with so I can get onto the jobs I enjoy more.
- Get into a routine of the things you do. I do this because then I don’t get into the house settled in and notice Chester the cat telling me I forgot to feed him, or I realize I forgot to do something else. It takes time to get dressed in my boots and go back out to do the chore I forgot.
- One of the comments that was made was they start to do something and then see something else that needs to be done. They start to do that and find something else before they finish that task. I guess I would say make a list and stick to it. This way you won’t have a bunch of half done chores so you feel like you don’t get anything done. Finish a job then you can move on.
- Attitude is everything! Have a good positive attitude and enjoy what you are doing, no matter what it is. After all you have to take the good with the bad in life.
- It is ok to have your kids help you even if they don’t want to. This is how they learn and it builds great memories. What better way to teach. If you don’t have any kids at home ask your spouse for help or maybe even a neighbor would like to help when you need it. It is ok to ask for help. It will make projects go faster.
- Enjoy the journey. Take a little time to sit back and enjoy what you have accomplished. It makes it easier to move to the next project when you can see what you have made progress.
One last thought:
One last thought: Be a little kinder to your self! Especially if you don’t accomplish your goal. There is always tomorrow! 🙂
I hope you enjoyed my blog post. I hope there is something in the post you can use. Feel free to share it with someone else. I love to hear your comments, leave them below.