How to freeze grapes. This time of year the grapes are very sweet and very tasty. Actually if you like grapes any time of year is a good time to buy them. Although some times of the year they are a little cheaper to buy and a little sweeter.
Freezing grapes is a great way to preserve them
When grapes are inexpensive it is hard to pass them by in the grocery store or at the farmer markets. Unfortunately they tend to get rotten before you can eat them all. With this great tip you can buy as many grapes as you have room for in your freezer.
Besides a great way to preserve grapes they also make a great treat.
My favorite food to eat is ice cream. I could seriously eat ice cream for a meal, it just tastes so good. But since I discovered frozen grapes I have eaten a lot less ice cream. I know what you are thinking, grapes are not as creamy as ice cream, how can they taste that good.
You are right they are not as creamy but grapes really are good frozen. They also don’t have as many calories as ice cream does either.
- One cup of grapes has about 70 calories
- One cut of ice cream has about 274 calories
There is one reason to switch from eating ice cream to eating grapes. You can maybe even justify grapes for a late night snack. (I really won’t give up my ice cream though, I will probably eat both.)
Grapes are a healthy snack
Grapes are also loaded with vitamin C and vitamin K. One more reason to add grapes or frozen grapes to your diet. A grape is also a good antioxidant and have many other health benefits.
Caution: Probably the most important tip. As with any food that can slide down your throat easily. Be sure and cut the grape into small pieces especially for small children.
Freezing grapes is very simple and really doesn’t take much time. They freeze very quickly and are fast to prepare for the freezer. Here are step by step instructions to help you freeze a batch of grapes.
Easy step to freeze and preserve grapes:
- Wash you’re grapes thoroughly and put them in a strainer to drain off any excess water.
- Allow your grapes to drain until they are dry. If you are in a hurry you can place your grapes on a towel until the excess water has dried off of the grapes.
- Place the dried grapes onto a cookie sheet. You can use wax paper or a towel on the cookie sheet but it is not necessary.
- Place on a level spot in your freeze and leave for a few hours or over night.
- Take the pan out of the freezer and remove the grapes from the cookie sheet. If they are frozen to the pan let them sit for about 5 minutes and then scoop them off.
- Put the frozen grapes into a freezer bag and put them back into the freezer.
I hope you enjoy this tasty treat. Let me know what you think.