Here we are in the middle of January, a time when many people get the winter blues. January is kind of hard month, a let down after such a busy November and December. The social life slows down, no more parties, visiting, and the anticipation of Christmas. (this post contains affiliate links)
This combined with the cold and snow can cause the winter blues to set in. Don’t get me wrong. I am so grateful that we have received so much moisture for our crops for the summer. Snow is really beautiful, I like it when it is a fresh white snow. The beauty of the glistening flakes in the sunlight. I don’t think it is really the snow I dislike so much. When I go outside and do my chores I really don’t mind being outside. Winter just makes getting things done a little harder.
Tips to beat the winter blues
Here are some tips to help get you thru the rest of January:
- Get out and enjoy some sunshine. Fight the winter blues by soaking in a little sunshine. If you don’t have a lot of sunshine where you live you may be lacking in vitamin D. You can get extra vitamin D in supplements you can take. (These are just suggestions, if you have questions ask your health care professional)
- I find I always feel better if I can do service for someone else. It is really hard to feel blue when you see someone smile.
- When it is cold outside it is hard to go and visit friends and family. Don’t let your social life suffer. Get out and visit someone it will make you happy.
- Find a hobby that you enjoy working on. This makes the winter days and evenings a little more enjoyable.
- Find a good book to curl up and enjoy.
- Exercise is always helpful when you are feeling stagnant in the winter time.
- Organize your home and your life. For me this is a hard thing to accomplish when I get busy in the spring. Winter is a great time to get my life in order.
Plant something green
Most of all just choose to be happy.
Spring will be here before you know it. A week or so ago I planted Basil in my swan planter. I put this on the table. It is always a fun reminder spring is on the way when you see the little green plants pop up through the dirt.
I hope you enjoyed my blog post. If you enjoyed it please share it with a friend. I always enjoy comments. Please leave them below.
(For a great spring time book: “Buffy’s Wish” at Brendaskidsbooks.com)